Kitchen Update

Monday, March 11, 2013

It has been a few months since I first posted pictures of our kitchen remodel. We've made a few changes since then. We probably would be making even faster progress if it weren't wrestling season the past 3 months, consuming most every second of Brandon's free time. As of Saturday, that's finished for the year, so I'm so so excited to have him back!

The biggest update is the installation of the island countertop. Again, we went with an engineered quartz that resembles marble. Here's a play by play of the installation. Thanks to Brandon's cousins, once again!




And here it is today:



The other big change is the installation of our open shelves. I love the way they turned out. We just bought some wood at Home Depot, cut it to size, stained and lacquered it, and set them on top of IKEA brackets. It's great to see the color all the items bring to the room, and the convenience of grabbing a glass or bowl is perfect. It's just what I envisioned.



I bought a new lampshade at Target and organized my desk items on a tray. I'm still waiting to have a built-in desk wall-to-wall in the space.



The kitchen is most definitely the hub of our home. As our children grow older, I really want our home to be a place where their friends want to gather. I loved that word "gather" as a symbol of the warmth and welcomeness I want others to feel. 


I added some chalkboard labels to my glass jars. I bought them at Staples - Martha Stewart Avery Line. And I also bought a chalk pen, it makes writing with chalk soooo much easier. 

This "salt pig" is my new fav. I have been searching for a bowl/canister/container for salt for years, but never found one I liked. I didn't know of the term salt pig until I stumbled upon it. I got this one on Amazon.

We still have some painting to finish (the corbels on the island, some touch ups on the cabinetry). And the decor of the kitchen has a way to go (window treatments). But it's a pretty wonderful kitchen already!

Leave a Comment

  1. Britty!

    A) You need to blog more. I love it when I see your blog in my reader. C'mon, you only have 4 kids. (wink!)

    B) I LOVE it. I am always wishing I were more organized, and I constantly think that if I had enough money I would hire you to be my organizer.

    C) Finally and most importantly, I LOVE the kitchen! It looks amazing. I too love the open shelving. I think it give it a nice point of interest and color in an otherwise very crisp kitchen. But probably my favorite is is the 'gather' sign. I love that. It's so different from the usual words you see in kitchens but gather is really such a great word. And the font too...

    Good job Britty! I love it. Cyber hugs. One of these days we should catch up on the phone (when you're jus sitting around bored...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ame! You make me feel so special. ;) I am getting things in gear this week and am trying to catch up on lots, so stay tuned. PS You wouldn't need to pay me, just buy me a ticket to SA. :) Love you, in your words, I love that you love my new kitchen. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Such a great space! I am happy to see you are getting settled.

    ReplyDelete